- Building Human Rights
- Building Liberty
- Social Movement Study Network
- Underground Press Syndicate Archive
- Organized Wealth
Photographic Galleries(Some of these links are off-site)
Since 1999! A Holiday Tradition!
An Annually-Updated Recipe for Leftover Turkeys:
Yes, we are experiencing race, gender, and class warfare along with aggressive unilateral militarism. Sort of Handmaids' Tale crossed with Hunger Games and Rambo. Over-caffeinated White heteropatriarchal warrior fantasies serving wealthy elites.
Chip Berlet is an investigative reporter, independent scholar, photographer, videographer, and progressive activist specializing in the study of right-wing movements in the United States, civil liberties, and the global Human Rights Movement.
He used to be a print journalist, but now is a content provider. < (irony alert)
His byline has appeared in publications ranging from the New York Times to the Progressive; and he is a frequent guest on radio and television programs from Nightline to Democracy Now.
Berlet also has written scholarly articles on conspiracy theories, religious apocalyptic aggression, and organized racist groups. For thirty years he was senior analyst at Political Research Associates. He is the co-author of Right-Wing Populism in America: Too Close for Comfort and a vice president of the Defending Dissent Foundation.
Current Writing Projects
Recent Scholarly Writing Projects
- Just Published!:
- Chip Berlet. Fall 2012. “Reframing Populist Resentments in the Tea Party Movement.” In Steep: The Precipitous Rise of the Tea Party. Berkeley: Univ. of California Press.
- _______. “Collectivists, Communists, Labor Bosses, and Treason: The Tea Parties as Right–Wing Populist Countersubversion Panic. In Critical Sociology.
- _______. 2012. “Collectivists, Communists, Labor Bosses, and Treason: The Tea Parties as Right–Wing Populist Countersubversion Panic. In Critical Sociology.
- Anders Breivik, Political Murder, and Right-Wing Demagogues (under journal review)
- _______. 2011. “Protocols to the Left, Protocols to the Right: Conspiracism in American Political Discourse at the Turn of the Second Millennium.” In Richard Landes and Steven Katz, The Paranoid Apocalypse: A Hundred-year Retrospective on the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. New York: New York Univ. Press. Based on earlier study, Toxic to Democracy.
_______. 2011. “Muckraking Gadflies Buzz Reality” In Ken Wachsberger, ed., Voices from the Underground: Insider Histories of the Vietnam Era Underground Press, Part 1, East Lansing, MI: Michigan State Univ. Press, pp. 267-297. Read the first few pages here.
- _______. 2011. “Analyzing Breivik’s Ideology with Social Network Research.” In e-Extreme, the online journal of ECPR, the Standing Group on Extremism and Democracy, Vol. 12, No. 3, (October), pp. 7-8.
_______. 2011. “Taking Tea Parties Seriously: Corporate Globalization, Populism, and Resentment.” In Perspectives on Global Development and Technology, Global Studies Association of North America, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 11-29.
Recent Popular Writing Projects
- "Anti-Obama Anger, Populist Rage, and Conspiracy Theories" for In These Times
- "Taking Tea Partiers Seriously" for the Progressive
Find out more about File Ferrets website content development services for which actually provides my main source of income.
Chip's Research Website:
Research for Progress
Odds & Ends
- Chip's Posts on Talk2Action
- Toegel's Antinazi Lithograph Collection Online
- George Seldes Bibliography