Defending Dissent Foundation
Curator of these Websites:
Talk 2 Action Blogsite -
Challenging the Christian Right -
Political Compass, section on Religion/Political Religion
ECPR Standing Group on Extremism & Democracy
Z Media Insitute
- National Writers Union
- Investigative Reporters and Editors
- National Lawyers Guild
- American Civil Liberties Union
- Americans United for Separation of Church and State
- Democratic Socialists of America
- Trout Unlimited
Political Research Associates
(Some of these links are off-site)
Chip Berlet is an investigative reporter, independent scholar, photographer, videographer, and progressive activist.
As a human rights activist he has spent over forty years studying prejudice, demonization, scapegoating, demagoguery, conspiracism, and authoritarianism. He has investigated far right hate groups, reactionary backlash movements, theocratic fundamentalism, civil liberties violations, police misconduct, government and private surveillance abuse, and other anti-democratic phenomena. He is a lively speaker defending democracy and diversity.
Berlet is co–author, with Matthew N. Lyons, of Right-Wing Populism in America: Too Close for Comfort, (Guilford Press, 2000), which received a Gustavus Myers Center Award for outstanding scholarship on the subject of human rights and intolerance in North America. He is on the board of the Defending Dissent Foundation. From 1981 until 2011 Berlet worked at Political Research Associates, spending over a decade as PRA's Senior Analyst. specializing in the study of right-wing movements in the United States, civil liberties, and the global Human Rights Movement.
He used to be a print journalist, but now is a content provider. < (irony alert)
His byline has appeared in publications ranging from the New York Times to the Progressive; and he is a frequent guest on radio and television programs from Nightline to Democracy Now.
Berlet also has written scholarly articles on conspiracy theories, religious apocalyptic aggression, and organized racist groups. For thirty years he was senior analyst at Political Research Associates. He is the co-author of Right-Wing Populism in America: Too Close for Comfort and on the baord of the Defending Dissent Foundation.
Current Writing Projects
Recent Scholarly Writing Projects
- Chip Berlet. Fall 2012. “Reframing Populist Resentments in the Tea Party Movement.” In Steep: The Precipitous Rise of the Tea Party. Berkeley: Univ. of California Press.
- _______. “Collectivists, Communists, Labor Bosses, and Treason: The Tea Parties as Right–Wing Populist Countersubversion Panic. In Critical Sociology.
- _______. 2012. “Collectivists, Communists, Labor Bosses, and Treason: The Tea Parties as Right–Wing Populist Countersubversion Panic. In Critical Sociology.
- Anders Breivik, Political Murder, and Right-Wing Demagogues (under journal review)
- _______. 2011. “Protocols to the Left, Protocols to the Right: Conspiracism in American Political Discourse at the Turn of the Second Millennium.” In Richard Landes and Steven Katz, The Paranoid Apocalypse: A Hundred-year Retrospective on the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. New York: New York Univ. Press. Based on earlier study, Toxic to Democracy.
_______. 2011. “Muckraking Gadflies Buzz Reality” In Ken Wachsberger, ed., Voices from the Underground: Insider Histories of the Vietnam Era Underground Press, Part 1, East Lansing, MI: Michigan State Univ. Press, pp. 267-297. Read the first few pages here.
- _______. 2011. “Analyzing Breivik’s Ideology with Social Network Research.” In e-Extreme, the online journal of ECPR, the Standing Group on Extremism and Democracy, Vol. 12, No. 3, (October), pp. 7-8.
_______. 2011. “Taking Tea Parties Seriously: Corporate Globalization, Populism, and Resentment.” In Perspectives on Global Development and Technology, Global Studies Association of North America, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 11-29.
Recent Popular Writing Projects
- "Anti-Obama Anger, Populist Rage, and Conspiracy Theories" for In These Times
- "Taking Tea Partiers Seriously" for the Progressive
Selected Published Work
Focus on Civil Liberties
Focus on Scholarly Writing
Focus on Anti-Bigotry Work
Focus on Media Work
Focus on Right-Wing Movements
Focus on Apocalypticism
Focus on Conspiracism
Work in Progress ‹
Chip's Research Website:
Research for Progress
Curator of these Websites:
Building Human Rights
Odds & Ends
Toegel's Antinazi Lithograph Collection Online
George Seldes Bibliography
Northeastern Ecumenical Encounter
Consulting Services Provided
to These Sites