- Building Human Rights
- Building Liberty
- Social Movement Study Network
- Underground Press Syndicate Archive
- Organized Wealth
Photographic Galleries(Some of these links are off-site)
Jump to Bio Stuff
Invitation to discussion on
Barriers to Transformation: Government Repression
Pace University, New York City
Abstract: Activists mobilizing for economic and ecological transformation confront apathy, corporate greed and political opposition…. And do it all with targets on their backs. We’ll expose the connections between white supremacists, the Christian Right and government repression of progressive social movements in the U.S., starting with a quick presentation on the 3,000 year history of the Christian Right (starting with Zarusthra). We’ll focus particular attention on the intersection of the war on terror, the national security state and anarchists. Panelists will examine how activists are confronting and overcoming right wing and government attacks, question whether those attacks become excuses for lack of success, and discuss how solidarity across movements is crucial to success.
This year's theme of Left Forum is
"Mobilizing for Economical/Ecological transformation.”
Speakers include Noam Chomsky, Oliver Stone and Bolivian Vice President Alvaro Garcia Linera
Click here to Register
Chip Berlet is an investigative reporter, independent scholar, photographer, videographer, and progressive activist specializing in the study of right-wing movements in the United States, civil liberties, and the global Human Rights Movement.
He used to be a print journalist, but now is a content provider. < (irony alert)
His byline has appeared in publications ranging from the New York Times to the Progressive; and he is a frequent guest on radio and television programs from Nightline to Democracy Now.
Berlet also has written scholarly articles on conspiracy theories, religious apocalyptic aggression, and organized racist groups. For thirty years he was senior analyst at Political Research Associates. He is the co-author of Right-Wing Populism in America: Too Close for Comfort and a vice president of the Defending Dissent Foundation.
Current Writing Projects
Recent Scholarly Writing Projects
- Just Published!:
Chip Berlet. 2012. “Reframing Populist Resentments in the Tea Party Movement.” In Steep: The Precipitous Rise of the Tea Party. Berkeley: Univ. of California Press.
An early draft is HERE. But the print chapter that went through serious editing is much better.
- _______. 2012. “Collectivists, Communists, Labor Bosses, and Treason: The Tea Parties as Right–Wing Populist Countersubversion Panic. In Critical Sociology.
- Anders Breivik, Political Murder, and Right-Wing Demagogues (under journal review)
- _______. 2011. “Protocols to the Left, Protocols to the Right: Conspiracism in American Political Discourse at the Turn of the Second Millennium.” In Richard Landes and Steven Katz, The Paranoid Apocalypse: A Hundred-year Retrospective on the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. New York: New York Univ. Press. Based on earlier study, Toxic to Democracy.
_______. 2011. “Muckraking Gadflies Buzz Reality” In Ken Wachsberger, ed., Voices from the Underground: Insider Histories of the Vietnam Era Underground Press, Part 1, East Lansing, MI: Michigan State Univ. Press, pp. 267-297. Read the first few pages here.
- _______. 2011. “Analyzing Breivik’s Ideology with Social Network Research.” In e-Extreme, the online journal of ECPR, the Standing Group on Extremism and Democracy, Vol. 12, No. 3, (October), pp. 7-8.
_______. 2011. “Taking Tea Parties Seriously: Corporate Globalization, Populism, and Resentment.” In Perspectives on Global Development and Technology, Global Studies Association of North America, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 11-29.
Recent Popular Writing Projects
- "Anti-Obama Anger, Populist Rage, and Conspiracy Theories" for In These Times
- "Taking Tea Partiers Seriously" for the Progressive
Find out more about File Ferrets website content development services for which actually provides my main source of income.
Chip's Research Website:
Research for Progress
Odds & Ends
- Chip's Posts on Talk2Action
- Toegel's Antinazi Lithograph Collection Online
- George Seldes Bibliography
Broan has a problem with the heating elements for this Broan 100HL unit. I just had my second replacement fail. Broan keeps pretending nothing is wrong with the Broan 100HL, but other customers are having the same problem. Really don't want to crowbar this out of the ceiling.
Broan told some customers that there was a redesigned unit that might be available in early 2013.
I would appreciate more honesty and corporate responsibility in the future. I have had three units fail. If Broan told me there was a redesign coming at the beginning of my exchange with customer service I would have just waited.
Now I am pursuing a public discussion of this matter.
I have asked for the name of the person at Broan I can interview about the delay in informing customers and the public about a major design flaw.
I appreciate the courtesy 0f the Broan customer representative. I would also prefer dealing with a corporation that had integrity as well as a well-trained staff that lied to me with courtesy.